“Nature is always on the side of beauty” -David Wolfe
The word “beauty” is derived from the Latin root, “good.” A woman’s desire to look and feel beautiful is both good and natural, for to possess beauty, internally and externally, is considered to be a divine attribute and one of our most sacred possessions. The beauty and allure of ancient yoginis and goddesses is legendary. They understood very well that, as the seasons change, so does the woman, and that physical beauty is a function of inner peace, balance and harmony. As such, they adapted their beauty and wellness regimens to suit the seasons and maintain a luminous glow throughout their lives. As we strive to achieve our greatest aspirations in life, cultivating the highest states of physical, mental and spiritual beauty makes us magnetic and assists us in drawing out our dormant capacities for excellence. In our inaugural session of Beauty For All Seasons, we’ll explore the secrets of ageless, timeless beauty with an emphasis on rituals, nutrition and treatments geared toward the autumn months.
Kim Wolff is a Certified Yoga Teacher, Thai Yoga Massage Therapist and Founder of Chrysalis Yoga Retreats. She travels the globe offering transformative yoga-travel journeys that nurture mind, body and spirit. Prior to becoming a yoga instructor, Kim enjoyed a career as a beauty expert, educator and spokesperson for ground-breaking skincare brands such as Juice Beauty, Perricone MD, Caudalie and Juara. She received her training in facial technique under the watchful eye of Caudalie’s Elite Estheticians at their famed European Vinothérapie spas. Kim is also the Founder of the made-to-order artisanal aromatherapy brand, Papillon Apothicaire.
Misty Kobiessi grew up in restaurants created and run by her grandparents. Their New Mexican heritage, reflected in the cuisine they served, was a major source of inspiration. After studying interior architecture and fine art in college, Misty’s travels took her to Bavaria, where she was commissioned to create works for a prominent art dealer while learning to prepare Bavarian and Italian cuisine. Her most influential cooking experiences transpired in Lebanon, where she lived for 5 years and learned from women throughout the region whose recipes were handed down through generations of home cooks. She mastered Lebanese cuisine, returned to the states, and co-founded Open Sesame Mediterranean Grill, one of the most beloved and successful restaurants in her hometown of Long Beach, California. Nowadays, Misty shares her passion for cooking with private clients and yoga retreat guests while continuing her studies with renowned Chef, Matthew Kenney, at his Plant Lab Institute in Venice, California.
Bright, spacious and airy, our day-retreat will be held in Misty’s beautiful home which she both designed and styled. Mid-century modern flair accented with inspiring art (much of it, her own), colorful textiles and lots of natural light make for lovely digs in which to learn. Our welcome reception will take place in her gorgeous formal living room that features soaring ceilings and an eclectic mix of both modern and vintage furnishings. We’ll gather for the day’s workshops in her fully equipped, state-of-the-art chef’s kitchen around a large quartz topped teaching island. Lunch will be served poolside on the open-air patio surrounded by a lush garden, comfy lounging area and warming firepit. We’ll assemble for meditation, breathwork and relaxation in a cozy nook set with candles and covered with Persian carpets. The day will conclude with a fireside sit where we’ll take tea and reflect on the feeling of gratitude.
– Welcome reception with plant-based beauty tonic and prana-packed lite-bites
– Discussion on the connection between our digestive system and complexion and how to adapt our regimen to the season based on the principles of ayurveda
– Cooking class focused on beauty foods and micronutrients that promote luminosity and vitality from the inside out
– 4 course gourmet luncheon with farm-to-table menu featuring organic, locally sourced, seasonal ingredients
– Guided relaxation complemented with organic aromatherapy
– Workshop to make your own customized skincare products. All ingredients and supplies included
– Fireside tea circle + gratitude meditation
In our opening session, Kim will walk you through the intricacies of how the digestive system is directly correlated to the health of our skin as well as the roles that yoga, meditation, diet and sleep play in our ability to look and feel beautiful. She’ll reveal the time-honored beauty secrets of goddesses as well as tried and true rituals used by yoginis for radiance and longevity.
During our cooking class, Misty will focus on the beautifying and health promoting properties and benefits of our seasonal superfood and micro-nutrient ingredients. Simple preparation and cooking methods that can be integrated into daily life will be emphasized as we work together to create a beauty-full 4 course luncheon using locally sourced, farm fresh, organic ingredients (vg + gf guests can be accommodated).
In this hands-on, interactive workshop, Kim and Misty team up to teach you how to make your very own customized, skincare regimen. You’ll learn which ingredients are best suited to your skin type, be given instruction on how to formulate 3 products using high-quality, natural/organic ingredients, and discover tips and tricks to get the best results for a healthy, radiant glow.
– 3 customized facial care products tailored to your skin concerns
– Guidebook that includes best ingredients for all skin types, facial care formula recipes + workbook and product application techniques
– Handout featuring cooking class recipes + reference guide outlining health properties and benefits of our ingredients
– Special parting gift for each participant
Quirky and cool, Long Beach, California is a picturesque seaside city known for it’s art, music and cultural scenes, slow food movement, vintage boutiques, classic spanish style and craftsman architecture and laid-back, beachy vibe. Our day retreat residence is located near Cal State University Long Beach and is a quick 1 hour drive from LA proper, 30 minute drive from north Orange county, 2 hours from Santa Barbara and San Diego, and a quick flight (1 hour 20 mins) from the bay area. Long Beach airport is a 15 minute cab or uber ride to our retreat residence. Airfares out of Oakland and San Francisco start at $52 on Southwest Airlines. If you’d like to make a weekend getaway of it, please visit our Long Beach Guide for suggestions on accommodations, dining and things to do, see and experience while you’re here. Exact address will be provided once registration is completed.
– Earlybird price of $189 runs through August 19th. Regular price is $219
– Reserve your spot with a deposit of $75
– Final balance is due 30 days prior to the event start date (September 16th, 2017)
– Registration is open to 9 participants only. Space is very limited and advanced registration is highly recommended
– Cancellation policy: Sorry- no refunds offered, however, registration can be transferred to a friend or loved one if for some reason, you cannot attend.